A Green-wing has joined our family! Finally!

junglenutcracker

Apr 25, 2015
Parrots
GW Macaw, CAG, eclectus (Kiwi- RIP)
After much searching, a beautiful 7-year old Green-Wing has now joined our ā€œflockā€. Now, I am sure Iā€™ll have tons of questions to ask all you experienced GW owners in the very near future. We are the second owners - the previous owner, a teacher, used to bring her to school once in a while to show his students. She does step up but has a tendency to be nippy sometimes - especially when near her cage. Her bites are more like hard pinches, so Iā€™ll be reading up more on threads about bite pressure training. I have a feeling that she hasnā€™t seen much interaction in the past few months...

The owner used to feed her Roudybush but Iā€™m wondering if thatā€™s the best choice. Some people have mentioned Goldenfeast as a better alternative.

Also, she is sharing the living room with our CAG...Iā€™ve read that having a CAG near a macaw is not a good thing as it could cause respiratory problems in the macaw. Is that correct? If so, should I place them in opposite corners of the room or should they be in separate rooms altogether?

Congratulations on finding your bird :)! Pictures?

Many people do have Macaws with dusty birds, but whether they get affected or not, it depends on particulars like the openness and ventilation of the room, how large the room is, do you have a good air purifier or two, do you bathe the birds and dust and vacuum sufficiently often (not saying you don't, but you know what I mean).

South American birds are known for being less tolerant to the dust of some other species.
Raven my Pionus is a South American, and he has allergies to his best friend (cage right next to his and they're together a lot) my Ruppell's parrot (a Poicephalus). Also Robin the other Poicephalus is in the room. 18x11 foot bedroom with air purifier. My vet says all the African species are dusty, though not as bad as the Grey. But short answer,is yes, it can cause problems, whether it does or not depends on variables. I have to take extra measures and be extra diligent nowdays about baths most days of the week even though they hate it. My vet says baths don't help much, but I'm thinking how could it not. I am also getting an additional HEPA air purifier.

Hereā€™s a few quick pics of our darling. Sheā€™s only been with us for two days and it looks like she is feeling quite comfortable in her new surroundings already.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 218
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 200
Shes Great !!! Whats her name ? I have birds kept in a double livingroom . I give them bathes and have a humidifier. I haven't had any problems. Your birds Im sure will like to be near each other [someone to watch and chit chat with].Hows it going ?

She is beautiful! Does 'she' have a name yet? I think she will be fine with your CAG. My parents amazons have been housed with their cockatoo for the better part of 40 years and never any issues from his dust (they've never used a air purifier or humidifier either). Frequent baths and keeping the area clean is key. Looking forward to more updates on her!

She is stunning! Congratulations!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back