5 year old meyers

dbullmc

Apr 30, 2012
fairfield,texas
Parrots
congo african grey, moluccan cockatoo, blue and gold macaw
:blue1::whiteblue::red1::white1:while we were at are breeders checking on the progress of our b and g baby, a lady came in and was talking about her myers parrot. he is 5 years old and had bought him from our breedr, which we have used for at least 12 years, we have a cockatoo, cag, b and g, looking to add a greenwing this next year. back to the meyers- she asked if we would like the parrot. said she hasnt been able to spend time with the bird and now it has started plucking all its tail feathers out. she stated that afterwards she had moved its cage by the window which i did not think was a good idea. she is going to bring the meyers to the breeders on sat, so we can take a look at the little thing. what do you think?

I will answer your question with a question, how much time do you think you will be able to spend with this needy bird with all of your other birds to care for and spend time with? Not to mention the Greenwing you plan on getting next year. This bird it seems has been starved for attention and to the point he has started feather destruction, which once started is all but impossible to stop.

So my question is more to ask yourself that to answer here because you are the only one who can make than call. My belief is that sometimes it's better off leaving the bird where he is as long as he's being feed and cared for, even if it may not be in the best circumstances.

Last edited:
we only work 2 days a week, we are blessed in that situation. i am not a bird hoarder, just wanted to make that clear. i spend quality time with all our birds everyday. its just that we hate to see a bird in distress such as that. that many birds can be a handful some days but it is well worth it to us. we love each and every one, and each has his own personality, ecspecially the cag, with his extended vocab.

my birds main cage is in front of our main window! nothing wrong in that that i can see, and if its not, she plays holy hell, even out of the cage :)

if you can cope with knowing this bird will always look ratty and have the space and can offer it a stable routine for it, that allows you to spend some one on one time with it, till its settled (took months for the nut to settle with us) then why not add it??
(after a through vet check, to be safe)

also ppl are not always overly honest when they want to get rid of a problem animal, so don't let sad stories pull on your heart strings

and welcome to the forum and pics please :)

we only work 2 days a week, we are blessed in that situation. i am not a bird hoarder, just wanted to make that clear. i spend quality time with all our birds everyday. its just that we hate to see a bird in distress such as that. that many birds can be a handful some days but it is well worth it to us. we love each and every one, and each has his own personality, ecspecially the cag, with his extended vocab.

God bless you, because I have two birds and I'm retired and they run me ragged all day. I guess peoples interpretation of distress in greatly different. Fo example: My Eclectus came from a lady whose husband had passed away earlier last year and she had to go back to work. Her husband worked from home so Mac was always out of his cage up until the time the lady went back to work. Her husband was Mac's best buddy. Well, he started to pluck around his legs and over-preen his feathers to the point she felt it was better to rehome him to someone who had the time to care for him like he used to be.

So the lady located me to see if I would take him. I agreed after meeting Mac. But I in no way felt that he was in distress because he was being cared for. Good luck with your decision.

Speaking of hoarding, my bird groomer has like 15 birds and is constantly talking about rehoming some of them, but then if someone asks her to take in a bird or if she see's a bird that she feels is in distress, she will actually pay for the bird. Now, in my opinion, and only my opinion, there is now way a person can give quality time to each bird when they own 15 birds. But I wouldn't say they were in distress.

my birds main cage is in front of our main window! nothing wrong in that that i can see, and if its not, she plays holy hell, even out of the cage :)

if you can cope with knowing this bird will always look ratty and have the space and can offer it a stable routine for it, that allows you to spend some one on one time with it, till its settled (took months for the nut to settle with us) then why not add it??
(after a through vet check, to be safe)

also ppl are not always overly honest when they want to get rid of a problem animal, so don't let sad stories pull on your heart strings

and welcome to the forum and pics please :)

Sue is sooooooo right here. The lady told me Mac was a quiet bird and only made a couple of screams if something passed by his window. But when the Lady and her sister came to visit mac for the first time after he was with me for 5 months. Her sister ratted her out by asking if I had gotten any complaints from the neighbors yet becuase they had gotten complaints from neighbors when he was with them. Their houses were really close together in their subdivision.

Mac isn't what I would call an overly noisy bird, but he does have his moments.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back