Sick baby parrot

Kiddy

May 7, 2024
Hi I have purchased a baby parrot one month back . In some days he got sick and had no desire food .I visited to a vet and he gave some medicines , he became better..but he sometimes asks for food and some times he doesn't..
Since few days he is tilting his neck at left and since yesterday his one leg doesn't seem normal. I again went to vet and he gave medicines and ORS as he again has diarrhoea since a few days .now today his another leg is not working well. He is walking with difficulty and his toes are all closed to each other , not like parrots keep .

Anyone has any idea what is the problem with his neck and legs.

Thanks a lot

OP
K

Kiddy

May 7, 2024
Hi I have purchased a baby parrot one month back . In some days he got sick and had no desire food .I visited to a vet and he gave some medicines , he became better..but he sometimes asks for food and some times he doesn't..
Since few days he is tilting his neck at left and since yesterday his one leg doesn't seem normal. I again went to vet and he gave medicines and ORS as he again has diarrhoea since a few days .now today his another leg is not working well. He is walking with difficulty and his toes are all closed to each other , not like parrots keep .

Anyone has any idea what is the problem with his neck and legs.

Thanks a lot

Attachments

• IMG_20240508_065158.jpg
    IMG_20240508_065158.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 14

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Currently.. congo african grey
Have you been handfeeding the baby? He is very young especially if you are inexperienced. I suspect that his issues are nutrition related.

What does he eat?

OP
K

Kiddy

May 7, 2024
Have you been handfeeding the baby? He is very young especially if you are inexperienced. I suspect that his issues are nutrition related.

What does he eat?
Earlier I was feeding him one bird formula but since 2 days I have been giving him petslife bird feeding formula.
Yesterday in morning he seemed better but now he is very down and his vent also seems swollen

OP
K

Kiddy

May 7, 2024
Earlier I was feeding him one bird formula but since 2 days I have been giving him petslife bird feeding formula.
Yesterday in morning he seemed better but now he is very down and his vent also seems swollen
Yes it is nutrition related, but we don't see avian vets in India so I am not sure what to do now

OP
K

Kiddy

May 7, 2024
Yes it is nutrition related, but we don't see avian vets in India so I am not sure what to do now
Vet gave him ORS for energy..I am giving him a little since yesterday

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Currently.. congo african grey
Yesterday in morning he seemed better but now he is very down and his

How old is he? Why did you change formula? How many times each day (and night) are you feeding him formula? Did anyone show you how? Is the consistency too thick? Too thin? Too hot? Too cold? Are you using a syringe? How many cc's?

Is he drinking water? Does he have access to food to eat on his own?

Is he sleeping on a perch or on the floor?

OP
K

Kiddy

May 7, 2024
How old is he? Why did you change formula? How many times each day (and night) are you feeding him formula? Did anyone show you how? Is the consistency too thick? Too thin? Too hot? Too cold? Are you using a syringe? How many cc's?

Is he drinking water? Does he have access to food to eat on his own?

Is he sleeping on a perch or on the floor?
I purchased him on 8th April and he seemed almost 20 days old at that time..I started feeding him formula with spoon and he was simply eating well ..in 5-6 days he became sick and had no desire to eat, I went to vet , and he gave medications Ofloxacin, multivitamin,liver tonic ..he became better in almost 5-6 days, I stopped medicines , he was eating then again the problem repeated. .I again started same medicines, he again started better .but then again he became sick when I stopped medicines.. found on net that my formula may not be suitable for him..so I purchased second most recommended formula and he started eating again but in 2 days he again seemed sick.
Although he was tilting his neck since almost 1 week , now both the legs are not good enough to hold his body .he has no desire to eat .
I again visited an animal hospital today, unfortunately they don't have avian vets too but they said the vet there is good enough for birds as have good experience. So I visited him. He suggested same medicines, ORS , liver tonic..he just added one immunity booster medicine. He said he is lacking energy ..
That's all is the the story. Today he Seemed worst.

junior98

Oct 17, 2022
New England
Parrots
1998 senegal parrot
We are all hoping for the best here.. Did you complete the medication regimen from the vet? if you stop a medication before its completed an infection can return if the bird had one...

OP
K

Kiddy

May 7, 2024
We are all hoping for the best here.. Did you complete the medication regimen from the vet? if you stop a medication before its completed an infection can return if the bird had one...
Yes I did almost 6 days.. vet said 4-5 days was enough.
I lost him on the same day when I posted thjs thread..sorry I couldn't update here.. it was painful.
Thanks to all of you who are giving their time to help innocent birds.

Most Reactions

Latest posts