possible long road trip with Puck (ideas for a to-go cage?)

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Tonight a friend of mine proposed going on a road trip around the country of an undetermined amount of time. She's going in February, whether I go or not, but invited me along, and it's very tempting. She's taking her little dog with her. Puck gets along with dogs once he gets to know them (he was raised with them), and he seems to handle variety and change pretty well.

What would one do about a cage when traveling in a small car? It would have to be something relatively easily collapsible. His travel cage isn't sufficient for long trips because it's so small. I'm not worried about during the trip; I think a window perch or two, some toys, food, water, and a poop catcher would do the trick. But what if we both want to go someplace without one of us watching the pets? She suggested just leaving him in the bathroom when we have a hotel room, which could work since his wings are clipped. I could put him in the tub with food, water, and toys.

Maybe I could make a wire mesh cage that could be easily collapsible, that he couldn't chew through.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I don't know if I'm going or not, but I'd like to play with some ideas. I do travel a moderate amount and it would be nice to have a to-go cage that's easy to set up and take down and transport.

Any other tips or ideas? I would make sure to dehydrate a lot of fruit and veggies (plus his pellets of course) in case they weren't readily available somewhere.

dustbunnyrunfree

Oct 6, 2011
Okmulgee, Ok
Parrots
2 baby Ekkies oct 15th
They have pexiglass cages for traveling and if your just worried for during driving or running out for a bit it should work, and i think i found them on ebay for like 50.00.. good luck

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My lovely little Black Cap Conure, Lucy (in the sky with diamonds) <3
This is what I use for weekend trips and I think I could even keep Lu in it comfortably if i put a free standing perch in the bottom :)

_DSC0037.jpg

It's called an explorarium. It's by exoterra, a reptile company. I also suggest a reptarium by apogee! here's a link to my favorite distributor
Reptile Supplies by ReptileDirect.com - Search

They come in various sizes, when talking about reptiles you generally speak in gallons, but there's dimensions on there too :) I can put Lu COMFORTABLY in the 28 gallon of a weekend :) ReptileDirect is a great supplier, I've gotten things with a piece or 2 missing and they ship me a complete set of the pieces next day if they can! I love them, they're great :) The black bars that function as the support for the mesh are kind of cheap :/ I've had both my reptariums (28 gal and 65 gal) for over a year, I've since replaced my "bars" with PVC pipes :) They're much stronger and come in the same size. For quick fixes though when I was still living in the dorm, I'd fix little cracks with electrical or duct tape :) The cages are SUPER light too :) the optional linings (sold sep. of course haha) are good quality too :) I'd image it'd be cake to clean birdie droppings out of, I put reptile carpet on the bottom for lucy, it's made form recycled plastic bottles and can be hosed out. It keeps here from eating the lining haha.

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
This is osiris int he corner of his reptarium, but that shows what the liners look like, it's like a plastic/rubber composite lol

_DSC0301.jpg

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
It's all about having a "well socialized bird" most anything will do when they are used to being in different situations.You just need to take her out and about. If you want to travel withyour bird take and do every thing with her and then traveling and being in different situations is no big deal.

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Dustbunny- I didn't think of that! I wonder if I could make my own.

Andrea.faerie - That looks good! My concern would be a bird chewing through the mesh though. What's it made of?

Henpecked- He's very well socialized. I take him out with me a few times a week. Yesterday he was playing with children at the park! He's pretty mellow and friendly. I'm mostly concerned with a cage that can be collapsed and set up easily so he can have a cage away from home.

Last edited:

Mandy60

Jul 18, 2011
Missouri
Parrots
Budgies:Perky,Mandy, and Stormy
:white1: Whatever you do try to keep your bird from getting stressed out. Put soft perches in (preferably rope) so that the bird won't get shaken by the jolts.
good luck with that!!

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Mandy60 - He's used to being on the road a few hours a week (my boyfriend lives an hour away and I go up there at least once a week; plus I take him out around town a few times a week), and he's totally fine with it. He prefers to be free though, rather than inside his travel cage. Lately I have been letting him sit on top of it so he can see out the window and get more sun, which he likes. He's pretty good about staying put, which is very helpful!

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
What about one like this? Collapsible/Fold Away Carrier 18" - CARRIERS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE There's two different sizes, and it collapses.

Myself, I always keep all my pets inside their carriers, and seatbelted down whenever in the car. The paranoid person in me worries about car accidents or sudden stops that could send furkids/featherbabies hurtling through the car.

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Rio Mom - Something like that looks good! I would want as big a one as is practical to carry around in a little car.

I think you're right. His travel cage is seatbelted in. If we're in a situation where an accident is more likely I put him inside, but he started to complain a lot being in his little travel cage for so long. I think I also need a larger travel cage.

If it helps you feel better, I have a perfect driving record, and I have never been in an accident when I was the driver. =P

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Rio Mom - Something like that looks good! I would want as big a one as is practical to carry around in a little car.

I think you're right. His travel cage is seatbelted in. If we're in a situation where an accident is more likely I put him inside, but he started to complain a lot being in his little travel cage for so long. I think I also need a larger travel cage.

If it helps you feel better, I have a perfect driving record, and I have never been in an accident when I was the driver. =P

It's the ones where some other person comes outta nowhere that scare me the most. Just a few months ago my hubby and I were waiting patiently behind a truck that was waiting for the car ahead of them to be able to turn left across traffic. Guy behind us, didn't stop. (well once he hit the back of our car he stopped) Everybody was ok, and my car got her poor smushed rear fixed.

Last year we were in the lane to go straight, the girl beside us was in the lane to turn right. She decided she would also go straight and hit the back tire. (damage not too terrible that time). Then to make it an even more fun week, a couple days later a buck (we live in a rural, heavily deer populated area) ran into the side of the car. Gouged my door, busted the door handle, kicked a hole in the wheel cover, and ran off. I think my car has a big "hit me" sign on it! lol

That foldable cage also comes in a 24 inch size.

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
The mesh is designed for reptiles to NOT claw though and Osiris climbs is regularly. Lucy chews on the mesh and it hasn't ripped yet! It's pretty touch stuff. The only time I busted it I accidentally left Osiris' heat light too close to the mesh and it melted haha I deff. suggest a HARD cage for travel. But for hotel rooms and such I think a reptarium or large explorarium would be suitable :)

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Rio Mom - Eek! Maybe I'll stop doing it so much. A larger travel cage is definitely on the "to buy" list. I live in a city that's big enough that there are no large wild animals around, but still! I'm pretty accident phobic, which is why I am such a cautious driver. It always drove my ex crazy. I also have poor depth perception, so I *always* err on the side of caution, which often leads to people honking behind me because I could have gone. Lol.

Andrea.faerie - Good to know! Puck is a champion hole-poker!

Autumn

Oct 21, 2010
Media
California
Parrots
PePe; Dusky Conure
When we went to the mountains in August I wanted to take Dusky along.
Ended up putting him in a little comfortable 1x2 ft doggie carrier bag. With his nest box along and some doritos. Was suffice for few hours but not recommended for weeks. But it was great for the car ride, althoooough the nest box alone wood be great I reckon.

Most Reactions