I need help

AngleDiaz57

Apr 9, 2024
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
I am hoping someone can help me I have a new 5-7 week old Indian Ringneck he is losing feathers quickly. But I feel like I am failing and I have only had him for 2 weeks and he was having good growth of feathers but it has declined quickly. He lost what looks to be his flight feathers and his tail, and he’s starting to have some balding on his underbelly near his tail and under his wings. I am still in the process of finding a vet for him but if there is anything I can do in the mean time that would definitely help!

Attachments

• IMG_0453.jpeg
    IMG_0453.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0449.jpeg
    IMG_0449.jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0451.jpeg
    IMG_0451.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0452.jpeg
    IMG_0452.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I am hoping someone can help me I have a new 5-7 week old Indian Ringneck he is losing feathers quickly he is eating and in the process of weening. But I feel like I am failing and I have only had him for 2 weeks and he was having good growth of feathers but it has declined quickly. He lost what looks to be his flight feathers and his tail. I am still in the process of finding a vet for him but if there is anything I can do in the mean time that would definitely help!
I'm very sorry I have no experience with hand raising or weaning baby birds, but the link below may help you in your search for an avian vet if you're having trouble finding one or getting an appointment ...

Wishing you and your little one the very best of luck, and I hope someone can help you with weaning advice very soon 🙏 🙏 🙏

Mya the ringneck

Mar 30, 2024
Media
Texas
Parrots
Indian Ringneck(Mya)
African Greys(Curly)(Sydney)
Galah Cockatoo(Max)
So I had a little problem with this too, some of the causes for a Indian ringneck to loose its feathers is molting(which it is molting season), bacterial infections, and even stress can cause them to loose their feathers.
Now I am no vet so I do not know for sure what is wrong, her skin looks to me a little discolored for the species, it is a little dark, but that could be from the loss of feathers agitating her skin. I would definitely look into a vet visit to make sure of no bacterial infections.
But for now I would try a soothing spray on the spots where she is losing her feathers like an aloe Vera spray to help with the agitation. You could also get an avian antibacterial spray to help in case it is a bacterial thing maybe that could stop the spread.
I hope this helps and your bird is going to be ok.
❤😟🙏

OP
A

AngleDiaz57

Apr 9, 2024
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
So I had a little problem with this too, some of the causes for a Indian ringneck to loose its feathers is molting(which it is molting season), bacterial infections, and even stress can cause them to loose their feathers.
Now I am no vet so I do not know for sure what is wrong, her skin looks to me a little discolored for the species, it is a little dark, but that could be from the loss of feathers agitating her skin. I would definitely look into a vet visit to make sure of no bacterial infections.
But for now I would try a soothing spray on the spots where she is losing her feathers like an aloe Vera spray to help with the agitation. You could also get an avian antibacterial spray to help in case it is a bacterial thing maybe that could stop the spread.
I hope this helps and your bird is going to be ok.
❤😟🙏
Thank you for the help I am going to be calling vets tomorrow and getting him in to get looked at and I will definitely be trying the spray!!

Mya the ringneck

Mar 30, 2024
Media
Texas
Parrots
Indian Ringneck(Mya)
African Greys(Curly)(Sydney)
Galah Cockatoo(Max)
Thank you for the help I am going to be calling vets tomorrow and getting him in to get looked at and I will definitely be trying the spray!!
once again i am no vet but that is what helped my bird

Most Reactions

Latest posts