Eclectus Life Span?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My experience wasn't particularly good. Lost my male "Sasquatch" at about 23. He had a tumor on chest and I trusted the vet to safely remove. Wound up using a laser scalpel and burned his crop. :mad: Angel developed heart disease and passed at around 26 or so. Both fed an acceptable diet the first few years, as I gained knowledge they had an ekkie-compliant regimen.

steveandbarb1

Mar 28, 2017
Friend has a 26 year old male in great shape. We have a 21 year old male doing well with some minor feather plucking after losing his mate (18 years old) and moving to new house which is much smaller to explore.

CaroleMac

Apr 4, 2023
Parrots
Eclectus
How old do they generally live? I am reading some very conflicting things. Some say from 30-60 years old, and then I read somewhere else that they only live to 20 if you're lucky.

Any insight?
I can tell you my cutie pie is 31 years old. An old boyfriend gave him to me in 1992! Since then I got married, had four kids, raised them, and now they are all grown and gone!! My adorable Eclectus is still here with me!! (sitting on his perch right now and talking to himself!). He is emotionally a toddler and always wants to be with Mommy, but he’s happy in his big-ish cage in the den too, with my cockatiel and parakeet nearby for company.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I can tell you my cutie pie is 31 years old. An old boyfriend gave him to me in 1992! Since then I got married, had four kids, raised them, and now they are all grown and gone!! My adorable Eclectus is still here with me!! (sitting on his perch right now and talking to himself!). He is emotionally a toddler and always wants to be with Mommy, but he’s happy in his big-ish cage in the den too, with my cockatiel and parakeet nearby for company.

Welcome to Parrot Forum and thank you for your insights regarding your 31 year old Male. Sadly, this is a very old Thread and most of the individuals that had responded before you are not as active, but your insight will be greatly appreciated by others.

With a 31 year old, I am guessing that you had found a diet that is working well for him!

Again Thank you for your positive comments!

Last edited:

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
This is a very old thread. I’ve been trying to do research on eclectus lifespans (or life expectancy), and if the leg band stamps indicate the year a parrot is born.

Maybe breeders know more about the leg band? There is mixed information online depending on the website rather the stamped leg band means anything.

Hopefully as time goes more and more Ekkie owners come forward with information on the Ekkie lifespan/life expectancy. Different websites also give different information on this too. I had to stop researching as some of the websites were so far from each other that I didn’t know what to think 🤦‍♀️

Most Reactions

Latest posts