Cockatiels and mating

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello šŸ‘‹ I have a 2 year old male cockatiel named Kiko.

I have a friend who knows someone that unfortunately has to re-home their 8 months old female cockatiel. We are super interested in taking her in because I was already looking for a friend for Kiko (but I want the bird more for myself.) I know that 2 males have more trouble getting along than a male and female which is why we want to get a female.

I wanted to know if there are ways to discourage 2 cockatiels from mating and laying eggs. I donā€™t plan on putting a nesting box or anything related to that in her cage and she will be kept in a seperate cage from Kiko. However, I do know that during mating/breeding season females can get very stressed and are able to lay eggs without males (but theyā€™re infertile, obviously.) how would you take her eggs away from her, wether their fertile or not? Wont she get upset or depressed? Do birds need a dark space or nesting space to mate or do they do it in the open? If Kiko bonds with her really well, will I need to completely separate the 2 during the times sheā€™s in heat?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks šŸ˜Š

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
You can buy/order fake eggs to swap with the real ones.

I only had one female (out of 4) that laid sterile eggs.

From my experience cockatiels can be in breeding season all year long.

Most Reactions